James Starley is known as the ‘father of the bicycle industry.’ His nephew J. K. Starley worked for Haynes & Jefferis before leaving the same year to set up Starley & Sutton. They presented their first ‘Rover’ safety bicycle at the Stanley Show in February 1885.
The company name changed to the Rover Cycle Co. in 1896. In 1909 Rover took on a contract for the Post Office which involved buying additional plant. But, by 1912, the motorised side of the business was taking over. Rover suggested a merger with BSA, but BSA declined as they were too busy. So instead, in 1912, Rover sold their cycle business to Charles Sangster of Components Ltd. Rover bought back their cycle business in 1922 and ran it for a further four years before giving up cycle production completely.
1908 Rover Roadster
Frame No D6887
This 26″ frame Rover Roadster is an older restoration. It’s in good running order and ready to ride. There’s a document with it that confirms its authenticity and age. The catalogue illustration is from the 1914 Rover catalogue.
1914 ROVER CATALOGUE
1914 ROVER CATALOGUE: THE ROVER MOTOR CYCLE