Founded in 1883, the Quadrant Cycle Co was renowned for the quality of their workmanship and was one of the world’s leading manufacturer of tricycles. They introduced many patents for new innovations in both tricycles and bicycles.
Lloyd’s cross roller gear was patented by W and J Lloyd and W Priest in 1897. Unlike the bevel gear system used in France (Acatene) and America (Columbia), the Lloyd Cross Roller uses spin rollers throughout the drive system. Although Quadrant promoted the Chainless bicycle in Great Britain, it failed to catch on here, and very few Quadrant Chainless machines survive.
They have become an essential exhibit for the country’s top museums: the Science Museum, Coventry Transport Museum, Hull Street Life Museum and Oxford Bus Museum each have an example on display. It is not known how many others are in private collections.
1898 Quadrant Chainless Light Roadster
Lloyds Cross Roller Gear
Quadrant Patent Back-Pedalling Brake
Frame No 57425
This rare chainless bicycle is in excellent original unrestored condition, apart from the front wheel, which is from the same era but does not match the rim pattern of the rear. The cross roller gears and back-pedal brake work well. The rear tyre is unusual, being an original ‘Atlas’ from the Victorian era. To find an English pneumatic tyre this old is a rare occurrence …the tyre is actually as rare as the bicycle.
LLOYDS CROSS ROLLER GEAR
as applied to the
QUADRANT CHAINLESS BICYCLES
QUADRANT BACK-PEDALLING (BAND) BRAKE
EXTRACTS from the 1901 QUADRANT CATALOGUE
LLOYDS CROSS ROLLER PATENT