MIDDLEMORE SADDLES HISTORY
Richard Middlemore & Sons made horse saddles and accessories at 31 Holloway Head, Birmingham. After that company was dissolved in 1831, William and james Middlemore started a new company and, by 1860, they had become one of Great Britain’s largest companies, employing 400 workers.
Thomas Middlemore was a well-known mountain climber, and he became head of the company in 1881, running it until 1896. After buying an additional factory at 89 Little Park St, Coventry, to make cycle saddles and accessories, Middlemores merged with Lamplugh & Co to become Middlemore & Lamplugh Ltd.
After that company was liquidated in 1920, the Coventry bicycle saddle dept became a separate company Middlemores (Coventry) Ltd. After 1920 saddles had a sidestamp with the brand name ‘Middlemores’ and/or a similar rear badge.
After trading for around 160 years, the company was wound up in 1991.
1891 SADDLE PATENT by GEORGE MEADER,
works foreman for MIDDLEMORE SADDLES,
CRADLE SPRING WORKS, COVENTRY
c1890 MIDDLEMORE HAMMOCK STYLE SADDLE