The Johnson Motor Wheel was designed in 1914 by Louis Johnson. It was patented in the USA in 1919 and in the UK in 1920. The initial design had problems at high speeds, so a fellow inventor from Indiana, Dick Oglesby, offered his iginition magneto to the Johnsons in order to address the problem. The Johnson brothers moved to South Bend, Indiana and formed the Johnson Brothers Motor Wheel Company to manufacture the kits.
The Motor Wheel had a 2 cycle engine which produced 1 hp and had two flywheel magnetos, bronze bearings and a float feed carburettor. The complete kit came with a wheel, hub tire, shock-absorbing spring sprocket holder, wheel sprocket and chain, handlebar controls for choke, throttle and engine shutoff, three quart gas tank and gas line, and all necessary fittings to adapt the engine and rear wheel unit to any 26″ bicycle *
To see the Johnson Brothers history, from monoplanes to motorcycle engines and outboard boat engines, visit the link below…
* text with thanks to – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Motor_Wheel