STRANGE BUT TRUE!
Curry Cycle Co was a very active local bicycle retailer. Above, you can se a Curry’s shop decorated for the 1911 Coronation procession.
Henry Curry started building bicycles in 1884, trading from his house in Leicester, having learned the business while working for the Leicester Tricycle Co. His sons James and Edwin joined him, and they moved to proper premises in 1890; in 1896, with son Henry joining too, they formed the company H. Curry & Sons. Curry’s stopped cycle manufacturing in 1932 with the closure of their cycle factory, although they continued to retail Hercules cycles badged as Currys until the sixties.
STRANGE but TRUE! was a series of fifty cartoon adverts placed by Currys Ltd in the cycling press. It was compiled by the magazine correspondent ‘Wheeler’ who invited readers to submit the cycling oddities that formed the series, addressed to Frank Gayton, a well-known Leicester artist: he was active in the Leicester Rotary Club, designing their badge in 1917, and subsequently forming the company Frank Gayton Advertising.